Picking new paint colours for your home can be exciting and it’s amazing how a new shade can transform a room. Helping our customers pick their perfect shade is one of my favourite jobs but to get the right undertones it’s helpful to get an idea of the other elements in the room. Here are some things you can bring with you to the paint store to make your selection easier.
- FLOOR SAMPLE – Don’t forget that your floor is a colour. If you have an off cut of your tile or wood bring it with you. If you don’t, try taking a picture. Even though the camera will distort the shades slightly at least it will give us an idea of the undertones.
- COUNTER/TILE SAMPLE – Replacing kitchen counters or bathroom tiles? Bring a new tile or countertop sample with you along with cabinet door or drawer. If you haven’t purchased new tiles yet but have narrowed down your choices ask your supplier to let you borrow their display samples.
- FABRIC SWATCHES – To bring out your new curtains, pillows, rug or upholstery, bring in a fabric swatch to help us pick the perfect complimentary shade. Try to avoid matching the colours in you fabric exactly. A little bit of contrast will help the material stand out.
- ART, FAVOURITE ACCESSORY OR OUTFIT! – Inspiration can come from anywhere – even your closet. Bring in the things from your home that you love like a beautiful print, favourite frame or other accessory.
- MAGAZINE OR ONLINE PHOTOS – There are a lot of great websites and magazines out there with thousands of chic spaces. Bringing in your favourites will help us figure out the colours and design styles you’re drawn to and help you achieve a similar look in your home.
TIP: If you’re picking a new colour scheme from scratch start by taking your temperature. Do you prefer warm colour like earth tones in beige, red, orange and green or cool tones like blue, silver, violet and gray.